Physical vs. Chemical sunscreen
The emergence of next generation Physical Sunscreens now gives consumers a choice in the way they protect their skin from the ageing and cancer-causing effects of the sun.
Traditional Chemical Sunscreens act by absorbing UV light for a limited period, using chemicals that enter the bloodstream and can be found in the liver for up to 72 hours after application. They also only absorb UVB rays (that cause sunburn) and not UVA rays (responsible for ageing, collagen degradation and some skin cancers).
Physical Sunscreens provide total protection, are suitable for acne prone skin and are not absorbed into the bloodstream enhancing your immune system. It is recommended to reapply every 2 hours.
In some cases, a higher level SPF Chemical Sunscreen product is required. Louise May recommends only those that are formulated for use on acne prone and sensitive skins.
You’ll find the following sunscreens stocked and used in-clinic:
- CosMedix - Reflect – Moisturising anti-oxidant spray SPF 15
- Medik8 - Hydr8 Day 360 - Anti-Ageing Moisturiser SPF 15
- Skin O2 - Medical Skincare Facial Tint SPF 30+
- We Are Feel Good Inc. - Sunscreen SPF 50+ Coconut
- We Are Feel Good Inc. - Sunscreen SPF 50+ Signature
- We Are Feel Good Inc. - Sunscreen SPF 50+ Sensitive
- Societe - Prime & Defend SPF 15 Antioxidant Moisturiser
- DNA Renewal - Sheer Defense - Light
- DNA Renewal - Sheer Defense - Medium
- DNA Renewal - Sheer Defense - Non-Tinted